This Northern Brewer University online video course introduces homebrewers to the advanced all-grain technique of step mashing, sometimes referred to as temperature step mashing or multiple step mashing. In a step mash, the temperature of the mash is raised to achieve multiple temperature rests; this utilizes enzymes in a way that is much different than the more typical single-infusion mash.
Instructor Brad Segall explains how it works and for which recipes the method is most appropriate. See the complete process as he demonstrates how to preform a step mash using a cooler as a mash tun and using a kettle with false bottom as a mash tun.
Note: This course is an advanced all-grain class. If you are brand new to all-grain brewing, you might be interested in Homebrewing 301: Homebrewing the All-Grain Way as an introduction or prerequisite to this step mashing course.
Total running time: approx. 29 minutes plus quizzes and supplemental reading. Once you have purchased this course, you may watch it as many times as you like.
Chapter 1: Course Introduction and Step Mash Overview
- Lesson 01: Course Introduction
- Lesson 02: Step Mash Overview
Chapter 2: A Deeper Look at Step Mashing
- Lesson 01: Key Terms and Vocabulary
- Lesson 02: Single-Infusion Mash vs. Step Mash
- Lesson 03: More About Enzymes
- Lesson 04: When to Consider a Step Mash
Chapter 3: Step Mash Demonstrations
- Lesson 01: Before Your Brew- Planning & Equipment
- Lesson 02: Step Mashing in a Cooler
- Lesson 03: Step Mashing in a Kettle
- Lesson 04: Coolers vs. Kettles (Pros & Cons)
Chapter 4: Troubleshooting
- Lesson 01: Additional Resources
- Lesson 02: Course Evaluation Survey
How To View This Course
- Once the course is purchased you will receive an email from Northern Brewer University.
- Open the email and click the link to set your password.
- Choose your password.
- Once your password is set you will be automatically logged-into the Northern Brewer University site and you can begin the course!
If you misplace your email you can always log into the Northern Brewer Course Page Here.
Included Supplemental Reading & Files
- Key Terms & Vocabulary
- Northern Brewer Roggenbier Recipe - Cooler Version
- Northern Brewer Roggenbier Recipe - Kettle Version
- Featured Equipment & Ingredients
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.